Friday 10 October 2014

a bangle commission

I have had the pleasure of working on a couple of unique commission pieces recently so I thought it would be nice to show the process and the finished pieces...

Each commission I work on involves a different approach. Sometimes the details need to be worked out a few times, sometimes the customer is very precise and only a couple of sketches are required. Sometimes you just don't know about an idea until you scribble it down, and then you can see whether it will work or not.

One thing evident from my methods, is that some vision is required to see past my quick scribbly sketches to the finished item! I wish I had more skill at drawing but there we are. 


The customer wanted a men's bangle, with rounded edges to be comfortable to wear, and a small motif to represent his family. The bangle was to be patterned, with the customer choosing a branch design from a few different options suggested.




The final motif was a tiny pierced out oak leaf and another tiny oak leaf soldered on, on each end of the bangle, to represent the four members of the family.

No comments: